Monday, April 11, 2011

Whipping Boy!

Psalm 69 (New International Version, ©2011)

 1 Save me, O God,
   for the waters have come up to my neck.
2 I sink in the miry depths,
   where there is no foothold.
I have come into the deep waters;
   the floods engulf me.
3 I am worn out calling for help;
   my throat is parched.
My eyes fail,
   looking for my God.
4 Those who hate me without reason
   outnumber the hairs of my head;
many are my enemies without cause,
   those who seek to destroy me.
I am forced to restore
   what I did not steal.



Have you ever heard the term "whipping boy"? In ancient biblical times if a prince made a mistake in his training or made a poor decision, he was never punished. Instead of punishing the Prince, a boy, known as a whipping boy, would take the punishment. He did nothing wrong, but he received the punishment.  That would be like seeing someone commit a murder and since you were a witness they forced you to serve the time. Maybe if you knew the murderer personally, you might to do this to protect him. That type of character is rare. That sacrifice is not natural.

Wether you're a coach, business leader, school administrator or just a friend, sometimes you decide to take responsibility for something someone else did. Many times it would be so easy to put the blame where it belongs. But a good leader, who cares about his people, might decide to take the blame to protect them. It takes a thoughtful, caring person with strong character that takes this step.

Jesus was our "whipping boy". He did nothing wrong and yet he suffered the cruel death on the cross for us. He could have called out the God of the universe to set the record straight. He could have told the truth and let us take our own punishment. He didn't. He did it to protect us from our sinfullness. He sacrificed his life for us. What have we done in return?  Would we make the same sacrifice for him?

Dear Lord, I am so ashamed of my sin. I know you suffered a cruel death for me and you did not deserve it. Please forgive me of my sins. Lead my life in a way that is pleasing to you. I owe you everything and can give you nothing. Thank You for your Grace. Thank You for your Love. Because of you, I will live forever. Amen!

No comments: