Tuesday, April 12, 2011

God's Track Meet!

Psalm 70 (New International Version, ©2011)

    For the director of music. Of David. A petition. 1 Hasten, O God, to save me;
   come quickly, LORD, to help me.
 2 May those who want to take my life
   be put to shame and confusion;
may all who desire my ruin
   be turned back in disgrace.
3 May those who say to me, “Aha! Aha!”
   turn back because of their shame.
4 But may all who seek you
   rejoice and be glad in you;
may those who long for your saving help always say,
   “The LORD is great!”
 5 But as for me, I am poor and needy;
   come quickly to me, O God.
You are my help and my deliverer;
   LORD, do not delay.


Our society is moving at such a fast pace. We ran our second track meet of the year tonight. Track is one of my favorite sports. I just love watching the 3200m and 1600m run. There is such strategy that is played out in those 4 or 8 laps on the track. But, most people hate these races. They have no patience to attempt to study the race. Spectators usually love the 100m or 200m race. These races are pure speed races. I don't see the enjoyment of the brief 10 seconds versus the 10 minutes of the distance race. There's not enough time for strategy in a sprint race. Track and field is like life. We have very little patience to wait on the race to develop. We won't slow down and wait to see how God's plan develops. We want the race to end now so we can see the results when we want to.  I don't know how many times I have heard someone say, "Patience is a virtue", or  tried to give comfort by saying "In Gods time". When we are suffering and Praying for God's intervention, we take no comfort in waiting. We are impatient people. Really what we are saying is "We know better than you God, so speed up my blessings and answer my Prayer NOW!"

We may not understand God's plan. But, it will be revealed in his time. He is the God of the universe. If we truly believe that, then shouldn't we trust he knows what he's doing? God will not do things just to do them fast. He will answer our prayers in the right time. He will provide us with just what we need, exactly when we need it. We will have good laps in the race of life and we will have laps where we run in last place. But, the race is not over. We need to endure. We need to go the distance. God will stretch us. He will grow us. He loves us. His time is perfect time. If we have patience to let the race of life develop as God would, we will surely when the Blue Ribbon. We will get to stand on the podium as victorious through Christ.


No comments: