Monday, December 20, 2010

WARNING: "Do Not READ this, it might ruin your Christmas Spirit!"

Luke 2:1-5 (New International Version, ©2010)


 1 In those days Caesar Augustus issued a decree that a census should be taken of the entire Roman world. 2 (This was the first census that took place while[a] Quirinius was governor of Syria.) 3 And everyone went to their own town to register.4 So Joseph also went up from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to Bethlehem the town of David, because he belonged to the house and line of David. 5 He went there to register with Mary, who was pledged to be married to him and was expecting a child.

Most people are amazed that Joseph would marry a woman who was pregnant with someone else's child. An Angel appeared to Joseph in a dream, (Matthew 1:20-21), and convinced him it was ok. I am more amazed that Joseph was able to travel from Nazareth to Bethlehem with a pregnant wife-to-be and they still got married! 
Bethlehem is about 80 miles from Nazareth. It's about 80 miles from Fort Wayne to Anderson.  We can make the trip in just over an hour and 15 minutes. Although the mode of transportation is not ever mentioned in the Bible. It is believed Mary traveled by donkey while Joseph walked by her side. More probable is they traveled by caravan. Regardless, they probably traveled about 20 miles a day. Because Christmas is such a peaceful time of the year. We all get the feeling this was such a peaceful and thoughtful experience for Joseph and Mary. But, I am guessing it was anything but peaceful and serene. This 80 miles would have been through Samaria. The Samaritans and the Jews didn't get along and this trip would have been very dangerous. The threat of attack would have been continuous. The trip would have taken about 4 days. Can you imagine a woman 9 months pregnant, riding for 5 hours a day for 4 straight days on a donkey, a camel, or some other ancient mode of transportation? I wonder how many "Rest Area" stops they had to make for Mary. I know Mary was a special woman, chosen by God. But she WAS human! I can't imagine Joseph didn't feel her wrath on more than one occasion. I am sure he hit all the bumps, he took the wrong trails, and traveled too fast, or too slow. I have never been pregnant, but I have been at the mercy of a pregnant woman who was uncomfortable. Let me just say they are very difficult to please and on occasion they are down right mean. (Sorry Steph, I still love you!) When they pulled into Bethlehem I am sure it was Joseph's fault their was no room in the Inn. I'll bet Joseph never heard the end of it. You can go ahead and think of it as a quiet, peaceful experience, while singing "It came upon a midnight clear" But, I am guessing is was a bit more stressful and tense. But, after it was all done, I am sure the bod between Joseph, Mary, Jesus, and the God of the Universe was a bond we can only hope for. The Birth of our savior is the most special event of all time. I think it becomes even more special to realize the amazing adventure Mary and Joseph endured to witness the Birth of Jesus. It puts me more in Awe of this amazing couple.

Now that I have ruined the quiet peaceful Holiday mood you were in. You can go back to singing "Silent Night! Holy Night! All is Calm, All is Bright!"  ..................All I can think of is Mary telling Joseph "Shut-up and Rub my Back!"

Merry Christmas!


No comments: