Thursday, December 16, 2010

Oh to be young again!

Luke 1:66 (New International Version, ©2010)

66 Everyone who heard this wondered about it, asking, “What then is this child going to be?” For the Lord’s hand was with him.


Do you remember when you were young and someone asked "What are you going to be when you grow up?" I don't remember specifics but I do remember changing my mind constantly. I remember my brother Mike and I wanted to have a ship and travel the world just like Jacques Cousteau.  For those of you who don't know who this is, google it. He filmed fantastic TV specials about the oceans and everything connected with it. He and his Cousteau Society were Ocean explorers and pioneers in bringing science to your living room LONG before the Discovery Channel. i have heard rumors that the Cousteau Society is still active and gong to revive the Calypso (his ship).
Before wanting to be Jacques, I wanted to be a sea otter. During the Apollo Space Program, all young boys wanted to be Astronauts. Later I wanted to be a Doctor and then a biologist. I never in a million years dreamed I would be in education, not as a Math Teacher and certainly not as an Athletic Director.

I remember holding each of my daughters and thinking exactly the same as the community John grew up in. As much as I tried, I could not see into the future to see what my daughters would be. If you dwell on this question too long you could start to get anxious. Your whole life could be filled with worry about your kids. But, with God as my savior, I can rest easy that He knows what my kids are going to be and he watches over that plan from the first day of their lives. God knew what lie ahead for John. He knows what lies ahead for your kids and he knows what lies ahead for you. It is so comforting that he knows and cares!

Dear Lord, Thank you for your heavenly plan. Thank you for the plans you have made specifically for us. Thank you for watching over my kids. I pray that they will grow closer to you each passing day and they will full fill your calling in their lives. Amen!

No comments: