Friday, December 3, 2010

Calgon Take me Away!

Luke 1:23-25 (New International Version, ©2010)


 23 When his time of service was completed, he returned home. 24 After this his wife Elizabeth became pregnant and for five months remained in seclusion. 25 “The Lord has done this for me,” she said. “In these days he has shown his favor and taken away my disgrace among the people.”


Do you remember the old commercials for Calgon?

Click here for "Calgon Commercial"


Have you ever just wanted to hide away for a few months? The Bible never says why Elizabeth went in to seclusion for five months. It's possible she was embarrassed about being so old and being pregnant. It's possible she wanted to make sure she was careful because she didn't want to lose the baby. She may have done so to contemplate the events that led up to this moment and the future for her baby. Or she just may have wanted to "Get Away from it all" Regardless  of the why, She had the desire to isolate herself.  She acknowledged that this was a gift from God and that it was a blessing she had not expected.

SO, I ask again, have you ever just wanted to isolate yourself for awhile?  I certainly have. There are times when I just need to get away by myself. There are times when I just don't want to talk with anyone and I don't want to have to explain why? In our busy, busy society, we hardly ever hear of people who get away for 5 months. Sometimes it's hard to get away for 5 minutes let alone 5 months.
I can tell you I have had many times I just wanted to get away from things. I can also tell you that I have never been able to do that for any real amount of time. My "away times" consist of an occasional Saturday or Sunday. I might be able to steal some time during Holidays or school vacations. Every year for the past 8 years I have attended the National Athletic Directors Conference. Because of the budget crunch I am unable to attend this year. I have always used this 3 or 4 day break to really get away. i am always able to focus on planning, major projects and a real attitude adjustment. It has always been such a valuable time for me. I have attended conference sessions by myself and usually spend most meals by myself. I do attend the annual awards banquet and the dinner. I usually find a table with AD's from other states. It is great to get to know people you probably won't ever see again. Even though there are hundreds of attendees, I really feel like I have gotten away. Since, I am not going this year, I will have to find a different way to  "get away".

I really believe getting away is therapeutic. All of us need to find a time we can get away and rejuvenate. This should be time without the spouse, work pressures, or a busy schedule. We need time to refocus and renew our commitment to God. We need time to think about where we are in life and where we are heading. We just can't do that type of thinking with others around. It is so hard to get rid of all the distractions. We need to try!

Please Lord, Provide us with time to get away. Help us to set aside our busy schedules during this time of the year just for ourselves. We need to find a place to seclude ourselves. We need time to not feel the pressures of life. Please Lord, hear our request and help us to find that time. Amen!

No comments: