Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Stop kicking your Mom!

Luke 1:39-41 (New International Version, ©2010)

 39 At that time Mary got ready and hurried to a town in the hill country of Judea, 40 where she entered Zechariah’s home and greeted Elizabeth. 41 When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit.


It's been a long time since I put my hand on the stomach of a pregnant woman. Ok, don't think I'm some kind of weirdo. My daughter was pregnant for my youngest grand daughter. That was the last time I have had this opportunity. It is so amazing to feel the movement of a baby in the womb.  I don't recommend going up to a pregnant woman to ask to feel the baby. You might get punched in the mouth. But, if you get to experience this with your own child or a grand child, you can't pass up the chance. I just can't believe this unborn child is already kicking Mom. That's gratitude for you!

When a baby is developing in the womb of it's mother, it is aware of the surroundings of it's environment. I have heard women talk about unborn babies having their nights and days mixed up, just like a newborn. I have seen unborn children with hiccups. I have seen unborn babies respond to voices or certain sounds. So, I think unborn babies can also feel the presence of the Holy Spirit and in this case can feel the presence of God!

For this reason, I think it is so important to start training up the child even before it is born. This new life can sense your heart felt prayers. It can sense you being filled with the spirit as you read God's word, pray, or worship. I don't have any proof, but I am sure the baby will be healthier if he/she is "exposed" to the presence of God even before they are born.  When the Angel of the Lord came to Mary and told her of the pregnancy of Elizabeth, she just had to be with her. These two ladies were carrying a messenger of God and the Son of God. They were carrying the two most important babies to ever be born. There births were heralded by Angels and prophesied throughout the old testament. Yet, they were developing babies. The joy of those two lives was already spreading even before they were born. But, I will assure you that these two righteous women began training these babies before their births. They didn't wait 'til they were old enough to walk or old enough to read. I am sure they started their relationship with God at the first moment of their life. We should all do the same thing!

Dear Lord, Bless the young mothers to be in this world. Fill them with your spirit just as you filled Elizabeth and Mary. Help guide them to begin their relationship with you at the earliest possible moment. Lord, Help us to care for our unborn children as if they were a messenger of God or your Son. Help us to love them and cherish every moment, every kick, every little movement. Thank you Lord for the gifts you have given us. Amen!

No comments: