Saturday, December 18, 2010

Stop the Hate!

Luke 1:69-72 (New International Version, ©2010)

69 He has raised up a horn of salvation for us in the house of his servant David 70 (as he said through his holy prophets of long ago), 71 salvation from our enemies and from the hand of all who hate us— 72 to show mercy to our ancestors and to remember his holy covenant,


Have you ever had anyone you thought was an enemy? I can't really think of someone who I thought of as an enemy. I also can never say I have hated someone. In sports, we sometimes view our rivals as our enemies. I have heard kids say "I hate you!" on more than one occasion. But every time they said it, it was out of the anger of the moment. I never really thought they meant it. I don't really think of my athletic opponents as "Enemies". I wonder if someone out there considers me their enemy. I wonder if their is someone out there who hates me. (Please don't post it in the comments if you do, I'm not sure I could take it!) I think everyone has someone who hates them and even some who thinks you are the enemy. I am no different. But, as a Christian, we are not to hate people. We may hate what they do. We may hate their actions, but we must love each other.  Remember these verses:

Matthew 5:43-44 (New International Version, ©2010)

Love for Enemies
    43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor[a] and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,

One of the most popular sayings this time of year is biblical. "Peace on Earth, Good will to men!"

Luke 2:13-15 (New International Version, 2010)

14 “Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.”

This can't happen unless we as Christians take the first step and stop our own hating. We need to get rid of our list of enemies. We need to love our enemies and pray for those who persecute you. It is like the old theory, "kill them with kindness." Maybe we should change this to "Kill them with Love".  I know first hand how easy this is to say and how hard it is to do. Although I can't think of anyone who I would call an enemy or anyone I hate, their are certainly many people who I don't get along with. Since I don't hate them or consider them an enemy, can I just mistreat them or maybe just ignore them? Can I wish them ill--will? The answer is obvious. No! We need to love these people just as much. Avoiding someone is not loving them. Wishing failure or ill-will is not loving someone. You also can't show love from a distance. (Darn it!)

God has every right to hate us for how we treat him and how we treated his son when he came to live with us. He doesn't. He loves us so much and has shown us great mercy. Even as we treat him with hate and constant disrespect, he loves us all the more. He is the model for how we should all live. He doesn't ignore us. He doesn't observe from a distance. He is right here with us, his love is not conditional on us. It is always present.

Dear Lord, Thank you for the grace and mercy you show us. Please forgive our hate. Please forgive our treatment of our "Enemies". We know you have told us to love our enemies and we continue to ignore you. Please Lord, help us to treat each other as you would have us to. Amen!






No comments: