Thursday, December 9, 2010

Bad Mood Buster!

Luke 1:42-44 (New International Version, ©2010)

42 In a loud voice she exclaimed: “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the child you will bear! 43But why am I so favored, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? 44 As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy.


Why am I so blessed? What a great question. It is one of those questions I ask all the time. I know myself better than anyone and I can tell you, I'm not that great a person to be blessed like I am. I'm not going to go into all the details of my weaknesses. Some of you know exactly what I'm talking about.

But, what struck me about these verses? Elizabeth not only recognizes her own blessings, but she recognizes the Blessings of someone else, Mary. It may be a little awkward but sometimes people need to hear how blessed they are from someone else. We can get so bogged down in our own daily grind that we might forget that we are truly blessed. I know people that are stuck in "Woe is Me" mode permanently. They live their whole lives going from one tragedy to another. Their families are terrible, their jobs are terrible, and every waking moment of their lives is terrible. I don't know about you, but hanging around with these people  can really depress you.

The next time you come across one of these people. Do everything you can to appropriately help them recognize their blessings.  We are all blessed beyond what we really deserve. Sometimes I really get depressed about my circumstances and when things aren't going well, but sometimes it is helpful to hear how blessed I am in order to get us out of my "Mood".

Dear Lord, Forgive me for not realizing how blessed I really am. Forgive me for not recognizing your greatness and the grace you give me. I know your blessings are beyond what I deserve. Thank You for your love!


No comments: