Thursday, September 6, 2018

Is this the right Question?

“This mystery is profound, and I am saying that it refers to Christ and the church.” Ephesians 5:32

I had a dear friend in ministry post a profound question the other day:

"What do you look for in a church?"


I struggled with my answer. I know I am a part of a great church. The pastors ALL preach straight from the word. They are sincere and real. The church works hard to serve others and promote true worship. Those are all qualities that I look for. But, I still struggled with the question and tonight when I started a new devotion by Francis Chan called "Letters to the Church" I realized why.


We have such a narrow version of the church AND if we are a part of the "Body of Believers" as Ephesians 5:29-30 tells us:



“For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ does the church, because we are members of his body.” Ephesians 5:29–30

 Isn't the question wrong?  Have you ever asked your left hand why it isn't as great as your right hand?  Do you chastise your pinky for not being a thumb?  Isn't it more important to ask HOW DO I CONTRIBUTE TO THE BODY OF BELIEVERS (aka the CHURCH)? Instead of asking what I can get out of the Church?

I know my friend didn't mean to imply that we need to look for a church that ONLY gives to us. But, I really think sometimes that's what people look for. They ask "How can the church feed me?" instead of how can I feed the church.  AND we look at such a narrow vision of what the Church really is. Isn't the church the ENTIRE BODY OF BELIEVERS and not just some location on County Line Road between Allen and Dekalb County.


We are a part of a wonderful mystery, a magnificently complex body of believers known as THE CHURCH. It is not a denomination. It is not meant to serve us. But, as a member of this body, we are to serve it and use our own special gifts to reach out with that body to people who aren't a part of it.  


I praise God for my entire church family, including my family, County Line Church family, my CMA family, my teacher believers, and ALL those that take their faith in the Lord and reach out to others. I am humbled to be a small part of that wonderfully AWESOME BODY of CHRIST.


No comments: