Thursday, September 28, 2017

Praise God I'm a teacher!

“Whatever you do, do well. For when you go to the grave, there will be no work or planning or knowledge or wisdom.”
‭‭Ecclesiastes‬ ‭9:10‬ ‭NLT‬‬
http://bible.com/116/ecc.9.10.nlt

This is a joyous verse. No work, no 5:30am mornings, no stress from coworkers, deadlines, extra hours, sweat, or toil. Heaven is going to be wonderful. It doesn't mean we slack until the day we arrive on the golden streets. On the contrary, until that day, you need to take advantage of the position God has given you and do it to the best of your ability.


I have one goal in my teaching, helping kids. I teach math but I really could care less about the content, (that sometimes gets me in trouble). I care about building relations with kids. I want them to know I care, I want them to know my sacrificial love, and my dedication to them and their future. It's not about tests, standards, or curriculum. God has honored my time as a teacher. He has blessed me beyond anything I could ask for. I don't have too many years left in the profession, but I will make the best of it. The political wing of education wants this to be about a test score. They want me to put linear equations above anything else. I am confident that I need to teach responsibility, caring, compassion, honesty, work ethic, and countless other character traits over any math topic. I refuse to put imaginary numbers over preparing kids for a future of  taking care of a family, loving each other, and serving others.

Praise God for the pleasure of being a teacher. I wouldn't change anything about my 20 plus years in education. I can't remember a single lesson that I taught, but I sure remember the students  that crossed my door each day. I could care less about the adults I've met in education. It's the students that make each day worth getting up each morning. 

No comments: