Friday, September 1, 2017

Mutual destruction Of my enemy.

“David replied to the Philistine, “You come to me with sword, spear, and javelin, but I come to you in the name of the Lord of Heaven’s Armies—the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied.”
‭‭1 Samuel‬ ‭17:45‬ ‭NLT‬‬
http://bible.com/116/1sa.17.45.nlt


I have never confronted a giant or someone that wants to kill me. I do have enemies and I do have people bent on destroying me, my reputation, and my message. I am not afraid of my enemies, but I sure don't have the confidence of David.

My normal response is not to shrink back in fear, but to back off in disgust, in sadness, or in reflection. When I am unjustly persecuted and I realize there is no hope of reconciliation, I just let it go. I don't defend myself and I don't recoil in attack. I'm not always sure that's the best approach. Sometimes I just want to attack, to lash out, to punish those that persecute me. That is also not a good idea either. My biggest concern is how will my "lashing out" affect my witness and my ability to serve others. If my attacks in any way destroy Gods plan for my life, if it grows into hate, I need to stop and just let it go. David was led by the Lord to defend his people. I honor that and if called to do so, I will not shrink in fear. I will use the spear and the sword, or maybe the sling and the stone. But I think too often people attack their enemy and that attack is NOT in the Lords plan.

Out of anything I've learned in my life, it's to let go and move on. I could attack and reap mutual destruction of my enemies. It doesn't help me and certainly doesn't help my enemy. I can "turn the other cheek." What I can do is to continue to serve the Lord, to do what he has called me to do and to keep my eyes fixed on him. His love sustains me. His love defends me and in the end I know I win because I get to live in eternity.

No comments: