Thursday, November 19, 2015

What sin have I caused?

“Therefore, if what I eat causes my brother or sister to fall into sin, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause them to fall.”   1 Corinthians 8:13 NIV -- http://bible.com/111/1co.8.13.niv

Last week I had the privilege of traveling to an education conference in Orlando. In the evening we chose to go to one of these micro-breweries. I haven't had beer for a long time and didn't drink any this time either. I did have some of their own home made sodas. They were delicious. I had a red raspberry and a home made root beer. Wow did it have great flavor. Afterward, I really thought about why didn't I feel comfortable drinking a beer. It's not a sin. In my past I used to have quite a few beers. But at some point in my life, I decided not to drink alcohol any more. I did this because drunkenness is associated with drinking alcohol. I know many great people that drink and don't get drunk. They are fine Christian people. I just have chosen to try to make sure I don't endorse sin in any way. People know I am a Christian and I don't want to give even the appearance of being hypocritical.

But, do I pay attention to other sins as much as this one? Have any of my actions caused others to sin? Have my actions been hypocritical of the gospel of Jesus? I always need to remember that my actions speak louder than my words. I can spend a lot of time worshipping, praying, or studying God's word, That may make me appear like a wonderful Christian. My actions can destroy that witness in a brief moment.

Dear Lord, please help me be aware of my actions. Lord, forgive me for the times I have destroyed my witness by careless words or deeds. I don't want to become legalistic like the Pharasees. I don't want to judge others for their actions, but I do want to maintain a high standard for myself. I treasure the gospel and your wonderful, saving grace. I praise you Lord for your love! Amen!

No comments: