Monday, November 23, 2015

Dear Hannah

“Just as a body, though one, has many parts, but all its many parts form one body, so it is with Christ. For we were all baptized by one Spirit so as to form one body—whether Jews or Gentiles, slave or free—and we were all given the one Spirit to drink. Even so the body is not made up of one part but of many.1 Corinthians 12:12-14 NIV -- http://bible.com/111/1co.12.12-14.niv

I learned a valuable lesson from my granddaughter Hannah this weekend. We were visiting and she asked me if I was for letting the Syrian refugees come to the US. I am not. She was devastated. Her compassion for these people was deep and extremely real. I let her down. It made me sit back and think about my position. Her heart was so set on helping people who are in the midst of crisis. Regardless how I believe our own President has caused much of this turmoil, regardless how I feel the innocents are being used as a pawn by an enemy who is bent on destroying us, Regardless of the real or imagined fears I harbor about this topic, I need to have the compassion of my granddaughter and the heart of Jesus. Jesus helped save me even though I didn't deserve it. He saved me even though it meant he would sacrifice his life. I have heard it said even if just ONE of these refugees is a terrorist we should not help the rest. I'm not sure that stands up to the standards of Christ. Maybe I should be willing to sacrifice my own comfort to save just one family whose country is under attack by extremists.

I think we need to find a way to act on the compassion of my lovely granddaughter and we need to do it as soon as possible. If we can just save one life it will be worth it. The divisiveness of politics needs to stop. We need to come together, both sides, to be compassionate and diligent at the same time. Time is short, lives hang in the balance.  My granddaughter has it right and here is my public letter to her:


Dear Hannah, 

      I am so proud of you for your bold stand and emotional compassion for the Syrian refugees. Never ever let politics get in the way of your love of people in need. If our politicians had your love of Christ and the love of people that you have, we would be able to solve most of the problems in our world. Continue to listen to your heart because it is the Spirit of the Lord calling to you. I love you and am honored to be your grandfather!

Love forever,

Gramps

No comments: