Tuesday, July 29, 2014

You don't have to throw your brains in the trash to follow Christ!

The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth. (John 1:14 NIV)

I am nearing the conclusion of my summer bible study about why I believe. It's been wonderful. I have to admit that, publicly, with non-believers, I haven't been very confident in my faith. It's not that I didn't trust God, I didn't doubt his existence, and I believe, but my faith has been weak. This summer I realized why? I have been listening to much to the world and their "facts" that God doesn't exist. After this study (Why I believe - Chip Ingram) I am inspired by the amount of overwhelming evidence their is to the truths of the bible, creation, Jesus, and the existence of MY God, the one, true, God. 

I am a mathematician, lover of science, and an amatueur history buff. I always felt a struggle between these three passions and my faith. Now I know, as Chip Ingram states, "You don't have to throw your brains in the trash to be a follower of Christ!" I always felt the quiet need to apologize for my faith in front of my learned colleagues. I am no expert scientist, nor historian, published mathematician, or famous theologian. But, now I know of people who are all of those things that have dug deep and come to the absolute, logical conclusion, that the Bible is accurate, and verifiably true, beyond any reasonable doubt, that evolution and the Big Bang are greater leaps of faith than my beliefs, and that historical records can back up the existence of MY GOD and the faith I subscribe. We all have faith choices to make. We believe in the God of the Bible, or we have faith in some other theory. We can deny the facts before us. But, there has never been a doubt in my life as I look at the impact MY GOD has had on my life.

I can't say it any stronger: I believe God created the Universe, he sent his Son to die for us that we may live with him forever in eternity and he has forgiven all my sins by his death on the cross. He has sent the Holy Spirit to guide and be forever present in my daily life and he has given us his Holy word to help us know of his love for us and plan for our lives. 

I KNOW it to be true!

No comments: