Sunday, July 13, 2014

This is hard!

Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. (James 1:4 NIV)

I'm on my journey to memorize the book of Romans. I am only on verse 3. I have "memorized" the first three verses. It's a shaky start. If I'm put under pressure, I'm not sure I could do it. This is hard! It just proves how terrible my memory is. But here it is, by memory, 

          Paul, a servant of Christ Jesus, called to be an apostle and set apart for the gospel of   
     God, the gospel promised beforehand by his prophets through the holy scriptures regarding 
     his son, who as to his earthly life was a descendant of David, (Romans 1:1-3)

I'm still doing my normal daily bible study, but my focus is on the book of Romans. SA James 1:4 says, I need to persevere. I believe God wants me to take on this task to write his great words on my heart and in my mind. I am determined. 

Listening to the voice of God through the scriptures does not make me a great person. It doesn't set me apart. It's taking those words and using them to change the lives of others, that's the goal. I have just come to realize, I can not change the lives of others through the scriptures if I don't KNOW THE SCRIPTURES! Knowing the scriptures beyond just studying them is a worthy goal. But using that knowledge to change lives, that is the ultimate goal! I must persevere in this challenge.


No comments: