Sunday, November 27, 2011

Louder than Words!

1 Corinthians 14

 6 Now, brothers and sisters, if I come to you and speak in tongues, what good will I be to you, unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction? 7 Even in the case of lifeless things that make sounds, such as the pipe or harp, how will anyone know what tune is being played unless there is a distinction in the notes? 8 Again, if the trumpet does not sound a clear call, who will get ready for battle? 9 So it is with you. Unless you speak intelligible words with your tongue, how will anyone know what you are saying? You will just be speaking into the air. 10 Undoubtedly there are all sorts of languages in the world, yet none of them is without meaning. 11 If then I do not grasp the meaning of what someone is saying, I am a foreigner to the speaker, and the speaker is a foreigner to me. 12 So it is with you. Since you are eager for gifts of the Spirit, try to excel in those that build up the church.

I don't know a whole lot about speaking in tongues. You have to remember I'm not a biblical scholar by any definition. I understand it's quite amazing when the Holy Spirit works through someone in this way. I've not witnessed it, but am fascinated by it. But, what good is speaking in tongues if no one can understand it? What good am I if I witness to others but can't do so in a way that is understood by the lost?

Have you ever heard someone try to speak to a non-christian, but get bogged down in one cliche after another? We might as well speak in tongues. It is our mission to speak the Gospel message so others can understand and relate to our story. Our great hope is to be the catalyst for change. We can't do that unless our message is clear and understood. I think the best way to make your message clear is not with your tongue, but your actions. Sharing your story in words can be very important. Just like a picture is worth a thousand words, our actions are worth ten times that.

As we get in to this early Christmas season, make sure your actions are speaking louder than the Christmas words we share. In the season where we all hope for Peach and Goodwill, make sure YOU  actually DO it.  Speak clearly about God's Love. Speak Clearly about what Jesus has done for you. Speak Clearly about the miracles the Holy Spirit has worked in your life. But, more importantly, show that the Spirit of God is behind all your ACTIONS and is the most important part of your life!

No comments: