Wednesday, November 16, 2011

What do you take for granted?

1 Corinthians 11

 27 So then, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. 28 Everyone ought to examine themselves before they eat of the bread and drink from the cup. 29 For those who eat and drink without discerning the body of Christ eat and drink judgment on themselves.

Communion is one of my favorite worship activities. Yes, I said WORSHIP. Our church does not take communion every week. I know some do and I'm not going to be critical of those traditions. But, personally, I like taking communion on a less frequent basis. As in all things, I have a tendency to take them for granted if they occur regularly. I can give you several examples: I take it for granted that I have a place to eat and sleep each night. I take it for granted that I have a steady paycheck. I take it for granted that I have a fantastic wife who loves me and treats me like a King. (Not the treatment I deserve) I take for granted the free country I live in. I take for granted I can worship in the way I choose and take communion without the penalty of death. I take for granted many, many things in my life. What do you take for granted in your life?

Sometimes, when I take communion it's easy to treat lightly what it truly means.   It is easy to take for granted what Jesus did for me.

Communion is to remind me what Jesus did for me on the cross. It has been handed down for centuries from Jesus himself. Yet, I can't say I have always treated it with the dignity it deserves. The thought of Jesus being crucified for my sins, the thought of him dying a senseless death because of me, brings me to my knees, praying for forgiveness. It's when I lose sight of that reality, that I don't treat the worship of communion as it should. 

Please forgive me Lord, for taking YOU for granted. Please forgive me for the times I am more worried about Sunday Lunch or the Sunday Football games than taking communion with dignity and respect. Lord you have freed me from sin by you selfless, grace-filled, act. You are God and yet you gave up your life for me. Forgive me. I Love you with all my heart! Amen!

No comments: