Monday, November 7, 2011

Are you smart enough to Love God?

1 Corinthians 8

2 Those who think they know something do not yet know as they ought to know. 3 But whoever loves God is known by God.
I am really fond of the show "Are you smarter than a 5th grader?" I believe most people think they are smarter than a 5th grader. Notice I said think. It always amazed me how difficult some of those questions are. But, I was also surprised how many guests didn't know the simplest questions. My favorite was: What country, located directly north of the United States, shares a border with the US. The contestant had to have help. Oh Boy! Do you know people who think they know everything? "know-it-alls" I am sure we can all think of someone. Some people pursue wealth and others pursue knowledge. I wish they would pursue God with the same passion.
We are not as smart as we like to think we are. When it comes to things of God, his plans for us, and his desires, we always think we know more than God. Sometimes, I act like I know as much as God. It's obvious that's not anywhere near true. I can't remember the last time I created anything like a universe! I can't remember the last time I controlled the course of human events, or healed anyone. 

I am not God. You are not God. We are not God. There is only one God and his knowledge is infinite. His Love is forever. God doesn't want us to try to be as smart as he is. He doesn't care what we know. All he cares is that we love him. Love is better than any knowledge we could think of acquiring. Being known by God and loving him is more important than any knowledge we could gain. Stop trying to be God. Instead try just loving him and see how smart you really can be. 

No comments: