Wednesday, November 9, 2011

How can you fear that?

Acts 24

 24 Several days later Felix came with his wife Drusilla, who was Jewish. He sent for Paul and listened to him as he spoke about faith in Christ Jesus. 25 As Paul talked about righteousness, self-control and the judgment to come, Felix was afraid and said, “That’s enough for now! You may leave. When I find it convenient, I will send for you.” 26 At the same time he was hoping that Paul would offer him a bribe, so he sent for him frequently and talked with him.

Doesn't it seem odd that the presentation of the Gospel can generate fear in someone with the power of Felix? In the Bible, one of the most popular sayings is "to fear the Lord". Many of the early Christians, in the Bible, talk about "death is gain." Stephen was stoned to death for his belief. We are asked to sacrifice, give up stuff, and deny ourselves. An unbeliever could easily become "scared" by all of this. SO, it doesn't surprise me that Felix was fearful. In his mind he has a lot to lose by turning his life to Christ.

I have been a Christian for nearly 40 years. I can honestly say I have never felt it a sacrifice following Christ. As a matter of fact, I have been embarrassingly blessed by God. I have been blessed WAY beyond what I deserve. But, the greatest reward is the guarantee that I will live forever in paradise with Jesus. What kind of sacrifice is that. If you view following Christ from the "Worlds Perspective" you are certainly going to be disappointed. The sinner can't see God and they can't see the rewards either. 


Worshipping God, life everlasting, no pain, no suffering, no sorrow. How can you fear that? 




No comments: