Saturday, September 24, 2011

I'm not special!

Acts 10

 34 Then Peter began to speak: “I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism 35 but accepts from every nation the one who fears him and does what is right. 36 You know the message God sent to the people of Israel, announcing the good news of peace through Jesus Christ, who is Lord of all. 37 You know what has happened throughout the province of Judea, beginning in Galilee after the baptism that John preached— 38 how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and power, and how he went around doing good and healing all who were under the power of the devil, because God was with him.

I am nobody special. God has certainly blessed me and my family. But, I am not special. In the United States, we think of ourselves as being special, God's chosen people. We have thought of ourselves as a nation set apart by God. We have thought of ourselves as being a "Christian" nation. I'm not bashing our country. I love the USA and will defend her with my life. But, we are not special. All nations that do what is right and fear the Lord are treated the same. The Holy Spirit has been given to all those who fear and love the Lord. The blessings are the same. 

The early Jewish Christians thought of themselves as being set apart. But, God continually made it known to them, this was not true. He opened the eyes of Peter in this story about Cornelius. Peter was amazed but he could not deny what God had done. 

God loves all of us. He does not show favorites. Praise God!

No comments: