Monday, September 5, 2011

Acting is better than listening!

Acts 2

 1 When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place. 2 Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3 They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. 4 All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues[a] as the Spirit enabled them.


This summer when Stephanie and I were on vacation. We were in our camper and  it poured down rain. If you've never been in a heavy rain storm in a pop-up camper, it is loud.  The camper worked great and we stayed "High and Dry" (Thanks Time-Out Campers!) We also had issues with the Wind. It was just like the rain. It was LOUD! But, it would be even more amazing to have the sound of the rain or the sound of the wind WITHOUT THE RAIN OR WIND!


This magnificent day the God of the Universe sent a gift to his followers. He sent his spirit to live with us in our daily lives. Thus the completion of the Trinity - Father/Son/Holy Spirit.  We are so blessed to be given this Spirit of our Lord to guide us and speak to our hearts, minds, and souls. 


My problem, like many others, I don't always listen to the guiding of the Spirit. Even though God speaks to us like the voice of a violent wind or the pounding of a heavy rain, we are deaf to him. I wonder how much easier and fulfilling my life would be if I just listened to the guiding of the Holy Spirit. Sure, I pray. I even ask for guidance. But, saying you want guidance and accepting that guidance are two completely different things. I so often blame God when things don't go well, but many times it's my fault for not listening. It's my fault for not acting on the guidance of this great gift God has given. Please forgive me Lord!

No comments: