Sunday, September 4, 2011

Labor Day Auction -- Thank You!

Well my 6th Labor Day Auction at the Auburn Auction Park is complete. I am sitting at home staring at the clock thinking I don't have to get up tomorrow at 5am. I don't have to haul 6 coolers of Ice. I don't have to stand out in a dusty field and park cars in the 90+ degree heat, get  soaked by a rain shower, get yelled at for telling someone where to exit or that they are not a VIP.  I get to enjoy the evening and an early bed time. I get to go to my grand daughters birthday party tomorrow and I am going to enjoy it.

I am sure my sentiments are shared by many an athlete and parent through out the GKB school district. Tomorrow will truly be a day of rest. So many people deserve a great big thank you for going beyond the expected this weekend.  My wife Stephanie is the first. I am sure when we got married 33 years ago she never expected to be following me around being the "assistant" athletic director parking cars at an auto auction. No one else spends as much time making sure this 5 day event happens without a problem. She also has to deal with my grumpy stressed out mood for days before and after this event. My other "Assistant", Becky Blotkamp, also is so valuable in making this whole event happen. While I'm out parking cars, she is hard at work single-handedly running the entire athletic department. (I may have the title, but she IS the Athletic Director!) What would I do with out Stephanie and Becky!

My hat also goes off to all the parents, players, coaches, and Railroader supporters who worked more than their share of time slots this week. Kacy Schultz (who doesn't even have a high school student) helps out every year to make sure our workers get fed, hydrated, and where they need to be. SHe is such a great supporter of our school. Mike Andrews also spent more than his share of time working plus he brought Kelly and her fiance to help as well. Every time I would turn around Mary Baker, Sandy Lanning, Tom Stafford, Sue and Tim Marshall, Chris and Tonya Hoeffel, Tim and JoEllen Knott, Deb Argast, Chip Gunion, or Mike Andrews would be reporting for work and working multiple shifts. Tracy Martin who doesn't have any students left at GHS also signed up to help out on the hottest day. He is awesome.

I also can't say enough about the students. Trey Obran gets injured in the Football game on Friday night. He spends most of the evening in the emergency room, but still shows up to work two days with his team mates. Raya Booth comes back from college to help. (OK, Connor Meehan may have had something to do with it.) The Garrett Learning Center Kids, Bulding Trades Students, and the staff also were extremely helpful on Friday. Our kids work so hard but they also find a way to make it fun, even when it pours down rain or we have a heat index over 100 degrees.

Thanks Everyone for a job well done. You are all awesome and GHS is better because of all your work.

No comments: