Monday, September 12, 2011

Fighting against God

Acts 5

 33 When they heard this, they were furious and wanted to put them to death. 34 But a Pharisee named Gamaliel, a teacher of the law, who was honored by all the people, stood up in the Sanhedrin and ordered that the men be put outside for a little while. 35 Then he addressed the Sanhedrin: “Men of Israel, consider carefully what you intend to do to these men. 36 Some time ago Theudas appeared, claiming to be somebody, and about four hundred men rallied to him. He was killed, all his followers were dispersed, and it all came to nothing. 37 After him, Judas the Galilean appeared in the days of the census and led a band of people in revolt. He too was killed, and all his followers were scattered. 38 Therefore, in the present case I advise you: Leave these men alone! Let them go! For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. 39 But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God.”

Gamaliel was a wise man. Many of us could take his advice. We often forget that God is in charge. We feel like we have to fight his battles for him. But, he is God. He not only fights his own battles, he wins them all. 

Have you ever faced a tough decision and fretted and stressed about it? I certainly have. I constantly worry if I am following God's plan for my life. Am I listening to God or my own sinful, selfish thoughts. Really, this is a silly question for a Christian. When we turn our lives to Christ and trust him to guide us, we don't need to worry or fret. If it's of God it will happen. If it's not, it will fail.

I trust God to guide my life through the mine fields. I trust him to get me through the tough times and continue to move me forward in his plan. I Love the Lord and know he is FOR me, not against me. I don't have to fight God. I know he wishes the best for me and my family. I know that I must accept all my life as a part of his perfect plan. He knows what's best for me. I trust him even if it's painful. I trust him even when the darkness seems to envelope me. He is my Lord and Savior. He has power over all things and over everyone. I do not need to worry. God is in control! I'm not going to fight him. I'm going to trust him.

No comments: