Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Shaken Faith!

Psalm 60 (New International Version, ©2011)

 1 You have rejected us, God, and burst upon us;
   you have been angry—now restore us! 
2 You have shaken the land and torn it open;
   mend its fractures, for it is quaking. 
3 You have shown your people desperate times; 


My heart bleeds for the Japanese affected by the Earthquake, Tsunami, and the ongoing nuclear situation. Like many situations in my Christian faith, I ask God why? This is not the first time and it won't be the last time innocent people are killed by nature. All through human history we can find examples of such "natural massacres". So who do we blame? As a Christian who believes in the complete power and sovereignty of God, it is tough not to blame God. Some Christians find it easier to blame the people and their sin as bringing out these disasters. Some would say it's a test of Faith.  So who's right? What's right?

It's easier not to really care to much about the situation in Japan since I am so far removed from this situation. But, what about those I Love and have lost. My Dad certainly comes to mind. He suffered a debilitating stroke and then after a few years of suffering through the consequences, he was taken to his heavenly home. I know of countless people who have lost loved ones to cancer. Just recently the Angola community lost four young men in a tragic spring break car accident. My heart goes out to those families. I know the number one question they ask is WHY?

The answer to this question can't come in our lifetime. Really, any of the reasons could hold true and God could have other purposes beyond our comprehension. To have Faith in our God admits, without a doubt, that God could have prevented the Earthquake. He could have kept my Dad alive to continue his ministry. He could have kept those 4 Angola Students from harm. Yet, he didn't. I trust my God. He has saved me from certain death by sending his son. I don't know his ways. I don't understand his purposes. What I do know is he loves me and regardless of the pain I face on this Earth, he is with me. He has guaranteed me eternal life with him. He has guaranteed me a life without pain and suffering. Until that time, I will ask the question why. I know there is no comfort and no hope without God. I certainly hope the people of Japan and the families in Angola can put all there hope and trust in God. 

No comments: