Wednesday, March 9, 2011

I have a lot of stuff!

Psalm 49 (New International Version, ©2011)

 12 People, despite their wealth, do not endure;
   they are like the beasts that perish.
 13 This is the fate of those who trust in themselves,
   and of their followers, who approve their sayings.[d]
14 They are like sheep and are destined to die;
   death will be their shepherd
   (but the upright will prevail over them in the morning).
Their forms will decay in the grave,
   far from their princely mansions.
15 But God will redeem me from the realm of the dead;
   he will surely take me to himself.
16 Do not be overawed when others grow rich,
   when the splendor of their houses increases;
17 for they will take nothing with them when they die,
   their splendor will not descend with them.
18 Though while they live they count themselves blessed—
   and people praise you when you prosper—
19 they will join those who have gone before them,
   who will never again see the light of life.
 20 People who have wealth but lack understanding
   are like the beasts that perish.

In Garrett, Indiana I am one of the Rich. When it comes to the average person in my town, I have more than most. I have a lot of stuff. It may be hard for you to believe as an Educator I can be considered Rich. There are many people in this world who make more money than I do and have more things. But, all "riches" are relative to what they are compared to.

As a member of the "Garrett Elite" please do not be overawed by my wealth. As with all of us, I can't take a bit of it with me when I leave this Earth. When we die, our options are the same. We are either going to live in eternity at the feet of Jesus or we die a horrible death, sentenced to life apart from God. It doesn't matter what I have on Earth or what I leave behind. We will all be perfectly equal as we worship the King of Kings. If you are going to envy anything I have, envy the eternal life I have been promised. I have nothing in my possession and I have done nothing that will endure except my commitment to Jesus Christ. God doesn't look at the stuff in my house. God looks at the stuff of my Heart!

I have truly been blessed on this Earth. I don't deserve it. I did nothing of myself to acquire this wealth. It is all a gift of God. I praise him for all he has given and I promise not to think to highly of myself lest I forget my savior. It is he who gave the greatest possession I have ever had. He granted me Eternal life as a sacrifice of his own.

No comments: