Monday, March 7, 2011

Clap with Reverence, Please!

Psalm 47 (New International Version, ©2011)

    For the director of music. Of the Sons of Korah. A psalm. 1 Clap your hands, all you nations; 
   shout to God with cries of joy.
 2 For the LORD Most High is awesome,
   the great King over all the earth.
3 He subdued nations under us,
   peoples under our feet.
4 He chose our inheritance for us,
   the pride of Jacob, whom he loved.[b]
 5 God has ascended amid shouts of joy,
   the LORD amid the sounding of trumpets.
6 Sing praises to God, sing praises;
   sing praises to our King, sing praises.
7 For God is the King of all the earth;
   sing to him a psalm of praise.
 8 God reigns over the nations;
   God is seated on his holy throne.
9 The nobles of the nations assemble
   as the people of the God of Abraham,
for the kings[c] of the earth belong to God;
   he is greatly exalted.

I have attended literally hundreds of churches over my lifetime. My father was a Methodist Pastor, my Grandfather was a Church of God pastor. One thing that nearly all churches have in common is "No Clapping". Ok, once in a while, people get out of control and just clap. But, this rarely happens. I'm not sure where or how Churches got to be so "quiet". I know this is a radical thought, but "You can be reverent and clap at the same time!"  Now you can add that according to Psalm 47:1, it is even Biblical.
In my present Church we clap a lot. I would say that it happens nearly every Sunday. No, our pastor does not get applause after his sermons. No, we don't go nuts when we have communion. But, there are many times when the spirit moves somebody so much they just have to give a "Clap Offering". If we can take up a "Money Offering" every week, we can certainly offer or praises to God in the form of a CLAP OFFERING!  God brings such great joy in my life that sometimes I just can't hold it in. The most dignified and reverent way to share that joy is by clapping. I haven't yet crossed the line into a "Shout for joy Offering". I should. Because I have certainly felt like it.

Wether it is clapping, shouting, or dancing in the isles, don't hold back your praise and worship for God. When I start dwelling on everything he has done for me and the overwhelming Blessings he has granted, I really get excited and want everyone to know! It's ok! It's not a sin! as a matter of fact, it should be a sin not to praise God to the fullest! Can i get an AMEN?

1 comment:

Covnitkepr1 said...

Glad you finally said it...someone needed to.
I’ve been following and enjoying your blog for a while now and would like to invite you to visit and perhaps follow me back. Sorry I took so long for the invitation.