Thursday, March 31, 2011

Heaven's KOA!

Psalm 61 (New International Version, ©2011)

 4 I long to dwell in your tent forever
   and take refuge in the shelter of your wings.
[b] 5 For you, God, have heard my vows;
   you have given me the heritage of those who fear your name.


In the old testament, much of the nation of Israel lived out of tents. We have come a long way from living as desert wanderers, living out of tents, to the grand homes we live in today. But, if you remember even God lived in a tent! When God came to visit Moses and the Israelites, he went camping!

As the weather heads toward "camping weather", my excitement grows to go camping. I'm not really sure why I love camping so much. Camping is really a lot of work. Cooking over an open fire, dealing with unpredictable weather, and all sorts of critters, can be quite an adventure. A weekend camping trip in the rain can be miserable. But, I still love camping. I like to think more of the smells of clean air, the quite of the night, the sounds of the birds in the morning, and the slowness of the pace. Sleeping in a tent draws you closer to nature. You don't have the thick walls, the insulation and the isolation from what God has created. 

God might have thought the same thing. Maybe that's why he chose a tent when he visited the old testament believers. He wanted to be closer to his creation.  Just like he wants to be closer to us. He doesn't want anything to separate us from him. He doesn't want the walls and he hates the isolation. He even sent his son to destroy the sin that keeps us away from him. Now he has gone to prepare a place for us. He has prepared a mansion with many rooms. I'm sure some people would disagree, but when i get to heaven, I hope I get to sleep every night in a tent. I hope Heaven is a big KOA and I get to sit around a roaring campfire listening to Jesus. I long to dwell in God's tent forever. I long to slow down, to relax in his arms, and to worship him. What a glorious camping trip that will be! You better get your reservations in now!

No comments: