Tuesday, March 15, 2011

THE NAME!

Psalm 54 (New International Version, ©2011)

 1 Save me, O God, by your name; 
   vindicate me by your might.
2 Hear my prayer, O God;
   listen to the words of my mouth.
 3 Arrogant foes are attacking me;
   ruthless people are trying to kill me—
   people without regard for God.[c]
 4 Surely God is my help;
   the Lord is the one who sustains me.
 5 Let evil recoil on those who slander me;
   in your faithfulness destroy them.
 6 I will sacrifice a freewill offering to you;
   I will praise your name, LORD, for it is good. 
7 You have delivered me from all my troubles,
   and my eyes have looked in triumph on my foes.

A name means so much. At my church, we just finished a sermon series on the different names of God. I learned so much. I have never really thought of God as more than just God. I don't mean that in a mean way. I have thought about the characteristics and the personality of God, but not really as his name.  A question was brought up on Sunday. Why so many names for God? Well my name is Steven Lawrence Rhoades. I am insignificant and I have 3 names. Shouldn't the God of the Universe have more?

1904 Adolph Blaine Charles David Earl Frederick Gerald Hubert Irvin John Kenneth Lloyd Martin Nero Oliver Paul Quincy Randolph Sherman Thomas Uncas Victor William Xerxes Yancy Zeus Wolfeschlegelsteinhausenberdorft Sr., {Germany;} had a Christian name for every letter in the alphabet, shortened it to Mr Wolfe Plus 585 Sr. The world's longest name officially used by a person.

This record breaking name is amazing. But our God is so much more amazing and his name should mean everything to us. When someone utters the name of GOD, how do you react? I wish I could tell you that I react in pure reverence. I wish I could tell you that everyone is awed by the name of God. But, I don't. I really think people, even christians, take for granted the power of the name of God. We should feel utterly privileged to be aloud to even speak his name. Have we forgotten the words God spoke himself?Exodus 20:7  “You shall not misuse the name of the LORD your God, for the LORD will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name.


How often to we break that commandment. As a part of our recent study at CLCG we received a bookmark that states some of the names of God:

Wonderful, Glorious, Holy, Righteous, Victorious, Conqueror, Triumphant, Mighty, Healer, Deliverer, Shield, Defense, Strong Tower, My Best Friend, Omnipotent, Soon Coming King, Alpha, Omega, Lord of Everything, My Rock, My Fortress, My Help, My Hope, My Salvation.  

God is all of these and yet they are still inadequate to describe him. God has given us life. He has granted us more blessings than we could ever imagine. Yet, we are so irreverent in the face of his name. We need to change and honor his name. We need to look upon our Lord with complete reverence, love, and humility.

Thank You Lord, for your name. Thank You for your power, I am inadequate to even mention your name. Thank You for coming to this Earth to take on the name above all Names. Jesus! We love you LORD!


No comments: