Tuesday, September 20, 2016

What does it really mean?

““Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar? Did not your father have food and drink? He did what was right and just, so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?” declares the Lord.”Jeremiah 22:15-16 NIV.  http://bible.com/111/jer.22.15-16.niv

These verses remind me what being a follower of Christ is all about. What does it REALLY mean to know the Lord? Am I a great Christian because I pray, read my bible, and worship? Am I a great follower because I go to church every Sunday? I think the answer is an obvious NO. So what defines me as a follower? 

We are called to serve, to pursue justice, and lift the poor and needy. Sitting in a church pew, quietly reading the word, or praying for yourself do not fullfill the action the Lord requires. Our calling is to serve? It is a constant battle of our sinful nature to focus on others over ourselves. It is difficult to pursue justice and fairness without the influence of selfishness and bias. Our political correct society doesn't always support what is TRULY right. Yes, worship, prayer, and studying the word are critical. But, those things without justice, service, and action means nothing. We can't have one without the other.

Dear Lord, forgive me for focusing my life on myself. Guide me into action. Help me to respond to the needs of others and show your love to all people I meet with every day, even the unloveable. Amen.

No comments: