Friday, July 24, 2015

What I pray for!

“My son, if you accept my words and store up my commands within you, turning your ear to wisdom and applying your heart to understanding— indeed, if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God.”     Proverbs 2:1-5 NIV. http://bible.com/111/pro.2.1-5.niv

I spend a lot of time in prayer and the request for wisdom is my most popular request. Not just for myself, but I pray constantly the Lord grants wisdom and discernment to my wife, my daughters, their husbands and children, my boss, and coworkers. I pray for wisdom of my ministry partners and I pray for wisdom of people I meet in  my everyday activities of life. My prayer life has changed over the years. I have moved away from asking for "things" and I am searching for wisdom nearly every moment of my life.  I think that's why I love teaching. Sure I want my students to learn mathematic skills, but more importantly want them to love the search for wisdom. I want them to have that wisdom to deal with life's challenges and life's joys. I want them to love the search for wisdom just as much as the things that will fill their lives. Our society is blessed with so many things. We value our possessions like no other country on earth. I just want us to value wisdom more.

True wisdom only comes from the Lord and he wants to share that wisdom for those that call upon his name. Searching for wisdom needs to start with intense prayer. We neèd to "cry out loud" for understanding. We can attain that wisdom and understanding by searching for God! He alone is a treasure more valuable than life itself. I praise you Lord for your wisdom. I pray for that wisdom in every day of my life. Amen!

No comments: