Thursday, July 30, 2015

A Father's Wise Advice

“My children, listen when your father corrects you. Pay attention and learn good judgment, for I am giving you good guidance. Don’t turn away from my instructions.” Proverbs 4:1-2 NLT (http://bible.com/116/pro.4.1-2.nlt)

I'm a father of three wonderful daughters. I pray for them every night that the Lord will give them good judgment. In my 35 years as a father I've given my share of advice. I have given advice on jobs, raising kids, faith, potential moves, and fashion. Yep, they really listen to me on that one! I get frustrated when my daughters don't listen to me. I have 55 years of life experiences and I hate to see my girls repeat mistakes I have made. But, they are adults and sometimes they need to learn for themselves by making mistakes. It still frustrates me and causes me pain when I see them struggling through life's challenges. If they would just listen to me and my experiences, their lives would be so much better!

It's about this time in my thoughts that I realize I have a Heavenly Father thinking the exact same thing about me! My daughters don't always listen to my 55 years of experience, but I have no excuse for not listening to the creator of the universe. Many times I won't even go to him for advice and when I do, I often ignore it. I turn away from his instruction. Busting out on my own without Gods guidance nearly always ends in disaster. Then I sheepishly return asking for forgiveness and a way to make things right. I've never been abandoned. My God is a great father. 

Thank you Lord for not leaving me when I ignore your wonderful guidance. Please be with my girls. Give them guidance, be with them, help them when they fail, and protect them from the enemy. I love you Lord and your grace is amazing. Thank you Lord for your patience and love!

No comments: