Tuesday, July 28, 2015

How Loyal are you?

“Never let loyalty and kindness leave you! Tie them around your neck as a reminder. Write them deep within your heart.”  Proverbs 3:3 NLT. http://bible.com/116/pro.3.3.nlt

I'm a loyal fan. I've been a Yankee fan, a Dolphin fan, and a Hoosier fan my entire life. I even cheer for IU football. The Yankees have had some great years and some not so great years. We have battled controversies and haters together. But, I'm not sure this verse in Proverbs is talking about loyalties to sports teams. I wish people were as loyal to God and each other as they are to their favorite teams.

We need to be loyal to God and to the people in our lives. In my own life I have not been consistently loyal to the God of the universe. My mood, life's circumstances, and the busyness of life have kept me from being a consistent LOYAL follower. In my advancing years my loyalty has grown. I have seen the faithfulness of my Heavenly Father and am embarrassed by my wavering faith over the years. 

Our faithfulness needs to extend to the people we live with throughout our daily lives. Our society does not value loyalty. The decline of marriage is the best example. Being a loyal friend, coworker, or spouse is not as easy as it seems. It takes severe give-and-take and extreme levels of selflessness. To be loyal to God, friends, and family means putting them before yourself. Loyalty is a key cornerstone to our witness as a Christian. God sets the example. He is the epitome of a loyal friend. He promises to never leave us and he has sacrificed all for us. That is what we are to do with him and others.

Lord, I am sorry for my lack of loyalty. My faithfulness over the years is not what it should have been. Forgive me for not mirroring your faithfulness with others. Help me to show others the same loyalty you share with me. I love my family, friends and coworkers. Give me the guidance to demonstrate my loyalty and that love with my words and actions. I love you Lord and praise you for this wondeful life I live. Amen!

No comments: