Thursday, July 16, 2015

Leviticus? really?

“But he shall not defile himself, being a chief man among his people, to profane himself.  Thou shalt sanctify him therefore; for he offereth the bread of thy God: he shall be holy unto thee: for I the Lord, which sanctify you, am holy.” Leviticus 21:4, 8 KJV

I have been spending some time in the Old Testament, I am now in Leviticus. It has been painful. So, last night I did some research. I googled, "Why should we read Leviticus!" This book is not without controversy. The comments about sexual relations can be very devisive in today's society. It also has some very strange rituals and sacrifices. They weren't strange when God spoke them, but since Jesus, our view of sacrifices has changed. I can't say this new knowledge of this book has greatly increased my enjoyment of its reading, but I appreciate its value.

If reading Leviticus has taught me anything it is the complexity of my wonderful God. I appreciate so much how he loves me and how involved he is in the details of my life.  Through history God has always wanted to spend time with us. He has taken extreme measures from living in a tent and having daily talks with his priests up to sending his son, Jesus. The laws, rituals, and lifes guidelines in Leviticus were not placed there to limit those entering the kingdom. They were added to make our lives the best they could be right here, right now. It's interesting these laws were not out in place before the deliverance from slavery. They came afterward. They were not prerequisites to getting what the Israelites wanted, they were gifted to them by a loving God.

Lord, I know I have screwed up life the way you would have me life it. I have often ignored your direction and plans for my life. I know I have missed countless blessings because of my sinfullness. But, I thank you for not giving up on my and I Thank you Lord for loving me and caring so deeply about my life! I praise you for your word, all of it! Amen!

No comments: