Monday, December 31, 2012

What I learned in 2012!

Everyone is busy tonight ringing in the New Year. ME? Stephanie and I are spending a QUIET night at home. We have made this our tradition and I just LOVE it. We have been on the go all during Christmas Break and we only have 2 more full days before it's back to school. I don't know if anyone else agrees, but I am ready to get back to my classes. I love being a teacher and spending my days with the Faculty, Staff, and Students at GHS. They aren't as important as my family, but they are my DAY FAMILY. They are a big part of my life.

I'm sitting here with Stephanie and Copper (my bassett hound) and looking back on this year with great fondness. I had a great year. I'm 52 years old and I'm still learning. So let me share some of the things I've learned in 2012.

10. It takes two weeks to come down from a Sugar High after Spring Break - I love spring break with my daughters and grandkids. This year was not exception. We've had this deal, agreement, that we have ICE CREAM every day on Spring Break. I love Ice Cream. However, when I come back from Spring Break my Blood Sugar levels take forever to RECOVER! I set a new record this year, two weeks to get it back to normal. The ice cream isn't nearly as much fun as spending time with the family. What a blast!









9. Pasties are AWESOME -  Stephanie and I didn't take a long motorcycle trip this year. But, we did make a short week long trip to the U.P. of Michigan. What a great time! The riding and scenery were great and the time spent with my wife was awesome. We did learn about a NEW treat. Pasties! Sounds a little strange but they were wonderful. If you ever make it to the UP you HAVE to try them. I cherish the private vacation time I have with my wife. Sitting around a campfire at night, exploring national and state parks and just US time has been a highlight of our lives together.



8. Who knew WingDingers could be so much fun? - The Honda Goldwingers spent early July in Fort Wayne and our CMA Chapter, worked to serve the WINGDINGERS. What a great time! Even though the heat was unbearable at times, We had a great opportunity to minister and serve. My CMA family is amazing and our times together are awesome. Wingers love to have fun and when you get a bunch of them together, you are in for a blast. Thanks Wingers, come back soon!

7. It rains in Hell - I went to HELL this year and found out it rains. Ok, it was Hell, Michigan. But it really did rain. For a motorcyclist, Hell wouldn't be fire, it would be rain. I went on several great rides this year, but none was as fun as riding with the Fremont American Legion Riders to Hell, Michigan. It was a perfect day until we got about a mile from Hell. Then it was a downpour until I got about a mile away. It seemed fitting!

6.  My family is full of NERDS -- Mckenzie graduated this year with her Masters in Nursing. Lindsae is finishing up her degree. Lauren made it to the Nerd Club and Hannah and I are the dounding members. All of my kids and grandkids are great students. We love learning and I couldn't be prouder of all their accomplishments!


 
 5. I'm JOYOUSLY addicted to Technology - Hi! my name is Steve and I'm addicted to technology. While I'm not in therapy,  I probably should be. I have an APPLE IPAD, my own personal MACBOOK PRO,  a school issued MACBOOK, an IPHONE, a SMARTBOARD, and projection screen. I write two blogs, tweet daily, read the newspaper online, am a google expert, and use technology every day at school I love it and the resources I get from it. I'm not ashamed! It is a big part of my life and has made me a better person. So there!

4.Teaching is learning and I love it - This might be more proof that I'm a nerd. I just love being back in the classroom and I have spent the majority of 2012 preparing my return to the classroom. Stephanie and I both had to complete more than 18 hours of College courses this year. It was a lot of work, but I found out that teaching is more about learning than teaching. I have enjoyed this growth and have continued it through the rest of the year. Learning will be more a part of my life in 2013 also. I am excited about discovering new resources and better ways to help kids learn.

3. My Wife & Daughters are AMAZING! - This isn't exclusive to 2012 but I am more and more impressed with my wife & daughters and the lives they lead. Stephanie and I were lucky enough to travel to North Carolina to see Kelley over Labor Day weekend. But I can't even tell you how much I miss her and wish she were here so she could be a part of all the fun times we have. I am joyful that Lindsae is able to come back on a regular basis and I have enjoyed all the extra time going to football games, cross country meets, and wrestling matches with McKenzie. I am blessed with 3 great daughters! Words can not even begin to tell how I feel about Stephanie. She is amazing and the main reason we have amazing daughters. I can't imagine a year without her and look forward to an adventurous 2013!







2. There's nothing better than being a Grandparent! - I hope my daughters understand. Being a grandparent is even more amazing than being a parent. Not that I didn't love being a parent and I've already shared what I think about my daughters. But, grandkids make a life complete. Klayton, Lauren, Hannah, Ayla, and Rian are the joy of my life. In January 2012, I finally put my priorities straight. My kids and grandkids come before my job. It's taken me 34 years of marriage to finally figure that out. So this might be one of the most important lessons I've ever learned and it all happened in 2012. Priase God for his blessings and the joy of my entire family.






 1. God's in control - The NUMBER ONE thing I've learned in 2012 - GOD IS IN CONTROL. Unfortunately, I seem to forget this every year and have to be reminded constantly of his wisdom and grace. God was busy in my life in 2012. He took me from Athletic Director to Teacher. He took me from CMA Chaplain to President. He is leading me in the classroom, with CMA, with my Gkids, my daughters, and with Steph. I could never have planned my life the way it is today. It is absolute proof of God's existence and his mighty hand in my life. Praise God for his blessings and guidance. Praise God that he has taken a sinner like me and blessed me abundantly with his grace and love.

There you have it. 2012 in a nutshell and what I learned along the way. I can't wait to see what 2013 has in store for me. I am looking forward to more lessons from my mighty God. I am looking foward to every adventure with my wife, daughters, and granddaughters. Bring it on 2013 here we come!



No comments: