Sunday, December 30, 2012

What were you thinking?

For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double‑edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. (Hebrews 4:12 NIV84)

Being in education for over 18 years and being a father and grandfather for over 32 years, I have aske this question on numerous occasions. "What were you thinking?" This question usually comes at a time when someone should have been thinking, but wasn't. If anyone could figure out a way to understand the thoughts of a teenager, he / she would make millions. Really, I guess, that could apply to just about any age group. Sometimes I can't understand how adults think either. Many times I just leave scratching my head.

Out of any power God has, his ability to know my heart and my thoughts, is the scariest. He knows our real attitudes, our real motives, our strangest thoughts. God is actively listening to us, watching us, and searching our heart. We are not a mystery to him.

I guess it's time to do a little searching ourselves. God knows us even better than we know ourselves. A part of my devotion time should be searching my own heart. Sure, I still need to pray to my Heavenly Father. I need to search his word. I need to praise and worship him. But, I also need to reflect on who I  am, what I think, what I say and how I act. How was I today? Did I act as God would want? Why did I do what I did? We're my thoughts pure? Was my attitude that of a follower of Christ? We need to search our OWN heart, soul, and mind. If we don't like what we see, we need to change. God knows what we need to do. He is trying to speak. The Holy Spirit is prompting us. Search your heart, is God there?

No comments: