Sunday, December 23, 2012

Presence = Happiness!

On coming to the house, they saw the child with his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him. Then they opened their treasures and presented him with gifts of gold and of incense and of myrrh. (Matthew 2:11 NIV84)

I hate shopping as a regular activity. It's painful. But, I love going Christmas shopping, by myself, on Christmas Eve, and looking for that one special gift. I was just watching a YouTube video about Money vs Happiness. Here it is:

I have never really thought my Christmas presents would bring happiness. The act of giving does bring happiness and I love giving gifts on Christmas. The wise men offered "Treasures". These are not just gifts, they are TREASURES. But, what ever happened to these gifts? I'm not a Biblical scholar so their could be some mention of these gifts I'm not aware of. But, in my Christian life, I can tell you, after Christmas we never talk about these gifts again. Many gifts I've given end-up like this gold, incense, and myrrh.  My gifts aren't all that memorable. It's not about the gifts. It's not about the shopping. It is about the act of giving. It's the act that we take the time to find that one special gift, treasure, to share with the ones we love. The gift is the act of giving ourselves.

When the wise men came to worship Jesus, the gifts weren't as important as their presence. Many of us have been blessed with God given gifts. It is so important we use those gifts for God. But, the gifts aren't the important part. God doesn't really care about the gifts, he cares about us. No, he doesn't just care, he LOVES us. He loves us so much, he wanted to come down to Earth to be with us. He didn't have to, he chose to come down to be with us. Then he took that Love to the Cross.

This Christmas don't get so wrapped up in the Gifts. (no  pun intended)

 Get wrapped up in the act of giving, the precious time with the ones you love, and the relationships with family and friends. They will forget the presents you bought for them. They will never forget the time spent with you. That's what God treasures more than Gold, Incense, and Myrrh.


No comments: