Friday, December 14, 2012

How can we celebrate Christmas?

The tragedy at the elementary in Connecticut is so heartbreaking. I just watched the ABC interview with one of the first grade teachers. She huddled her 15 students into a small bathroom to save them. Her story is both heroic and traumatic. How can this small town move forward to celebrate Christmas? I pray for their peace and healing through this great tragedy and loss. I can't imagine even going to sleep in the midst of the horror of the days events. So, what would God have us do? Strangely enough, in the midst of overwhelming dispair we are to turn to God and Praise him. When Mary was pregnant with Jesus, she praised God. Her life was in turmoil. Uncertainty and public ridicule were everywhere. Yet, she praised God. When Jesus met his painful death on the cross and the torture leading to that death, he praised and worshipped his heavenly farher. In tough times we are called to him. He will comfort. He will heal. He will lift our burden and he is the only one to bring peace in such turmoil. In the face of tragedy, we need to turn to him. And Mary said: “My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has been mindful of the humble state of his servant. From now on all generations will call me blessed, for the Mighty One has done great things for me– holy is his name. (Luke 1:46-49 NIV84)

No comments: