Friday, December 28, 2012

I hate Deer!

Habakkuk 3:19

New International Version (NIV)
19 The Sovereign Lord is my strength;
    he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
    he enables me to tread on the heights.


          I hate deer. Just a little over a week ago, one of my fellow motorcyclists encountered a deer. The Deer lost the battle but my CMA brother had severely broken leg and totaled motorcycle. Many years ago I also had my own deer encounter. 
          
          I was coming back in the dark on an October evening on a rural highway. The farmers were harvesting corn right near the two lane highway. When out of the corner of my eye, I saw a Huge Buck . It came straight at my motorcycle. It happened so fast I had no time to react. My helmet came within inches of the huge rack of antlers.  We were so close, I could see straight into his eyes. All I remember is seeing the huge beast stop, instantly, turn his head slightly, change direction and jump over the back of my motorcycle. How he could stop that quickly, change directions and miss any contact with me or the motorcycle is beyond me. When I got home, the only "damage" was  a scuff mark on my tour pack and a broken antenna. Absolutely amazing. I still hate deer, but I am truly amazed at how agile and sure footed they are. 

          When I read this verse, I instantly thought of MY deer encounter. I have also witnessed deer and elk in many other situations. They are so beautiful to watch. Their movements are so graceful. As a Christian I am so clumsy and anything but agile. I say the wrong things. I make poor choices and FALL constantly. When I decide to trust in the Lord and lean on him, I am MORE agile than a deer. I can do amazing things through Christ. When I focus on God he directs me to the highest highs and makes my life more graceful to watch than the movements of a deer. So, why don't I focus on him at all times? Well, that is the question for the ages. The nice part is God is always there to pick me up again.

No comments: