Friday, May 6, 2011

Thank God for Mom!

Psalm 86 (New International Version, ©2011)

15 But you, Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God,
   slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness. 
16 Turn to me and have mercy on me;
   show your strength in behalf of your servant;
save me, because I serve you
   just as my mother did. 



Mothers Day is a couple days away. Some of us are blessed with Mothers who are great Christian women. I am one of those lucky people. My Dad went into the ministry late in his life. He spent the last third of his life in full time christian service. But my mother has been in Christian Service her whole life. I remember her taking her first organ lessons when I was in or around First grade. She became a Church Organist over 40 + years ago. Ever since I can remember we had a piano in our living room. She would play constantly. She raised all 6 of us kids on the melodies of Love. Being a church organist is a labor of love for the Lord. What it always meant was practice, practice, practice. It also meant church choir and church choir practices. Sometimes Mom was the choir director. She played for weddings. She played for soloists. She played and played and played. But, even to this day, I have never heard anyone play the organ or piano with as much feeling as my mom. That wasn't by chance and it wasn't by skill. It was because of her passion for Jesus and worship!

My mom not only served the lord through music, she has served on every possible committee possible for a church member. She has served the local church, she has served on state committees, she has served nationally. She ministers in so many ways, I couldn't do them justice. She IS a servant of the Lord. Besides all her service, she was always there to support my Dad before he passed away. She was the perfect Pastors Wife. When my Dad had his stroke 14 years ago, she became more of a servant. When he passed away, she turned her ministry focus to grief counseling. Now she is a part time Chaplain at a hospital besides all her other servant positions.

Through my moms service to the Lord, I learned service to the Lord. Through her passion of worship, I learned my passion for worship. Through her love of music, I learned my love of music. I am so thankful to have a mom who loves the lord. I see so many people that are truly lost in this world. These people don't have anywhere to turn. I know I can turn to Jesus. My  Mom is a huge part of the reason I know where to turn. Thanks Mom for all your love, not just your love of me, but your love of the Lord! Praise God for a Righteous Mother!

No comments: