Tuesday, December 16, 2014

What are your Christmas Traditions?

Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ. (Colossians 2:16-17 NIV)

What are your favorite Christmas traditions?

Christmas Tree decorating AFTER thanksgiving - I love this first official activity of Christmas. This year Stephanie and I got to do this with two of the three daughters and their families.

The countdown - There has always been a countdown to Christmas in my family. My mom used to give special advent calendars for  my kids to countdown the days. I still do it!

Christmas Eve shopping - this has been my tradition for years. I go by myself and enjoy the peace by myself picking out special gifts for the ones I. Love.

Christmas Eve Service - I am saddened that our church does not have a midnight Christmas Eve service. This was such a great tradition of peace and joy leading to Christmas Day. 

Opening one gift at a time - My family still honors this tradition. It stretches out the enjoyment and the fun/fellowship is always more valuable than the gifts.

Christmas Day movie - this started for my family when we lived in New York. I love it!

Egg Nog - I could drink a gallon.

Cinnamon rolls - this started with my grandma Rhoades. Nothing matches hers. Others have tried with only limited success. But, we still love them!

 There are too many more to even list. Christmas is filled with tradition and the most famous story of all time. A miraculous birth is the most precious tradition. I love the peacefulness, the joy and the hope that always comes around Christmas. No matter what your traditions remember to always keep the wondeful savior of the world as the center. Thank you Lord for the gift of Jesus and the traditions we have!

No comments: