Wednesday, December 24, 2014

A wonderful Counselor is born!

For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. (Isaiah 9:6 NIV)

Yes, Christ is born this day! The salvation of the world is here.

We have all heard this verse many times in our lives. Countless Christmas sermons, Christmas Eve services, and seasonal messages spread these truths. If you know me or have read this blog for any length of time you know many of my eccentric thoughts. Here is another: 

Is there meaning to the order of these names, these characteristics of Jesus. Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. This is not the trinity, it's different. It's somehow more practical. It directs my thoughts to why God even came to Earth at all. There is power and strength in the names Mighty God and Everlasting Father. Identifying Jesus as the Prince of Peace also is fitting of his royal status. Any of those three characteristics could have been first, primary in this list. But, "Wonderful Counselor" is first. I think that is not by chance. It is first because it tells us of Jesus primary mission. The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit identify who God is. But, Wonderful Counselor is WHAT God is. 

I praise God for his wonderful counsel. I treasure our times of prayer, communication, and words of advise through out my day. I can't picture my life, where I would be, without the loving counsel of Jesus. For those that don't pray you won't have a clue what I'm talking about. Thank you Lord for caring enough to send someone, your Son, to guide me through this life of peril. Thank you for sending your son, subjecting him to the persecution of the government, thank you for sending him to the cross, defeating death, and going to prepare a place for me! I praise you for the direction in my life. I pray it will always be directed by your will!

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!



No comments: