Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Us vs Them at Christmas!

Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. (2 Corinthians 12:8-9 NIV)

We are only 2 days away from the celebration of Christ's birth. The rhetoric from anti-christians and atheists is heating up. I read an article yesterday slamming the inaccuracies of our celebration. They are battling in small towns across America trying to keep us from any public signs or displays. They want to put our symbols and beliefs against the faith of satanists or secularists. I gladly accept the challenge. Look at our faith history, our proof, the value of our beliefs and the impact on society, you would be hard pressed to find another worthy of the praise of Christianity. Indeed we christians do not know the specific date of Jesus birth. We don't know the details of the wisemen and our speculation of all the events fuels more and more inaccuracies. The bible does not give us a detailed list of events surrounding the birth of Jesus.

So what?

As you would expect, these non-Christians miss the point. As I stated, I readily admit to many inaccuracies of the birth of Christ. But, the one thing we hold dearly is the knowledge that God came down to earth to be with us. He spent his life teaching by example how we should live. More importantly he gave us the prescription to die and live again in eternity. He sacrificed himself for us. Even if you completely deny the deity of Jesus you have to value the outcome of his life. Sure you can point to the failure of Christianity on many occassions, but you can not deny the value, historically, has outweighed the negative. You can point to many more NON-Chrisitian sects and leaders who have caused more damage and agony historically in the name of their beliefs. I am saddened that the haters of my savior can not see him as I do. But, I am also saddened they can not see the value of Christianity and the wonderful impact his life and death has on our lives, my life!

Jesus Christ is my savior. He was born, died, and rose again for me. He has saved me from death and has promised eternal life. The little details about his birth are unimportant in the grand scheme of this world. The symbols, the date, the story may not be completely accurate as we celebrate it. But, it is real. He was born, he lived a perfect life, he did die, and he rose again. Praise God for my wonderful savior and the greatest gift of all: Life Everlasting!

No comments: