Thursday, December 11, 2014

Fear Not! Are you kidding?

But the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary; you have found favor with God. (Luke 1:30 NIV)

Several times during the Christmas story, Angels visit and their first words are: "Do not be afraid!" Who were they kidding? The shepherds and Mary both got to sense the terror of having these powerful beings disrupt an otherwise peaceful night. I can't even explain the terror I would feel, let alone what my reaction would be. The presence of the angelic host must be quite the powerful, awe inspiring sight. It's easy to say I would love to see it, but I'm not sure I could handle it!

Have you ever been truly afraid? I was riding my motorcycle in the late fall of the year several years ago. I had a VERY near miss with a deer. It happened so quick, but it happened in slow motion at the same time. We actually came eye to eye as he veered to leep over the back of my motorcycle. I was so petrified, but didn't even slow down after it happened. I was paralyzed with fear. 

The older I get the less paralyzed I am with fear. I have survived enough calamity that I know I have nothing to fear. I don't fear people's opinions. I don't fear confrontations. I'm not afraid to stand up for Jesus. I'm not afraid to do the unpopular thing. I just don't fear much. I'm not in the same breath as Mary, but for some reason I have been blessed by God and he has shown, time and time again, that I have nothing to fear. When all is crumbling, I can see the face of God and know I'm ok. 

In the peace of this wonderful Christmas season, fear not, for if you have committed your life to Jesus, you will find favor with God. Praise God for the strength he provides to endure all times, both good and bad.

No comments: