Wednesday, May 2, 2012

I don't HAVE to........... I GET to serve.........

Be shepherds of God's flock that is under your care, serving as overseers–not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not greedy for money, but eager to serve; not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock. (1 Peter 5:2, 3 NIV84)


My Principal has a tendency to correct people who say "I have to........." He always tells me, "You don't HAVE to....... you GET to........"

My Principal is the OVERSEER of our school. He does a great job. He is a man of God and serves like it. I never get the impression that he views his position of leadership as a job. He doesn't HAVE to be Principal, he GETS to be principal at GHS. Trust me when I tell you he has had many opportunities to develop a poor attitude about work. I have been fortunate to get a close up view of the Principal position over my 11 years in administration. Personally, I'm not sure why anyone would take that job. It's like being the head coach of a professional sports team. 24 hours a day , 7 days a week, people criticize your decisions. You have to juggle the wants and needs of teachers, parents, community and students. When things go well, it's because of the great students and staff. When things go bad it's because of the Principal. My principal is ALWAYS looking out for the student first. He has a loving and caring heart for staff and students. Very few people know the agony and prayer that goes into making decisions by my Principal. If you're not in that position, it's always easy to criticize. It's amazing how easy the decisions are when you don't have all the facts and you aren't held responsible for the outcome. Yet, even through all this, he always has the attitude "I GET to be Principal at GHS!"

As Christian Servants, we are also overseers fo God's flock. He has appointed us to serve. Sometimes, when you've had a hectic schedule, it would be easy to say, "Do I HAVE to serve?" But, just like my Principal, we need to change that to, "I GET to serve!"  We need to be eager to serve. We need to be examples of a tireless, dedicated servant. My Principal is that example to me. He is an inspiration. He serves the students and staff at GHS with great leadership. He is tireless, eager, and dedicated to making this school a great place to be.  Thanks Matt! May God bless you and your family. I have great respect for you and your efforts at GHS.

No comments: