Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Comfort for my Brother!


2 Corinthians 1

 3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, 4 who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God. 5 For just as we share abundantly in the sufferings of Christ, so also our comfort abounds through Christ. 6 If we are distressed, it is for your comfort and salvation; if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which produces in you patient endurance of the same sufferings we suffer. 7 And our hope for you is firm, because we know that just as you share in our sufferings, so also you share in our comfort.

I've never been without a job. I was thinking of that a few days ago while I was watching the news. The news channel was talking about the unemployed who have given up. We are hovering at 8% unemployment in the U.S. Yet, those numbers don't come close to speaking the truth. They don't tell about the millions of Americans who have given up looking for work. It doesn't tell about the UNDER employed, those who are working in jobs just to earn any amount of money because unemployment has run out. I'm almost embarrassed that I haven't ever been without work. I want so bad to extend comfort and hope to those people who can not find fulfilling and meaningful employment.  Why am I the lucky one and they aren't? 

I have a brother who is in this situation. My brother is a smart guy. He is a talented Christian man who cares deeply for people. He is and always has been a hard worker. He has degrees and education that are well beyond the average person. Yet, he is grossly under-employed. I want so bad to comfort him. I want so bad to be able to fix things for him. I don't want him to HAVE to receive comfort. I want him to get beyond the suffering he is going through. My experience doesn't give me any authority or credibility to comfort. I can't say I know what he's going through. I can't give him the hope that "this too will pass". But, I know someone who can. ....... the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, 4 who comforts us in all our troubles,.........

I feel grossly under-qualified to know what my own brother is going through and has been suffering for years. Yet, God and our Lord Jesus know of his suffering beyond what I will ever comprehend. He was beaten and crucified for no reason. He didn't deserve it. But, he did it so he could comfort my brother through his suffering. Eventually, my brother will come through his suffering, even though he can't see the end. He has hope because of Jesus. Eventually, he will be able to share that hope from deep within his heart. He will be able to share that comfort and hope with someone else, because of Jesus. 

I don't want this to sound trite and weak. I truly believe God is preparing my brother for great things. He will be able to comfort like very few people have. God knows what he's going through and stands with him now and forever. Praise God he is the Lord of comfort and hope. Praise God he will see us through all trials and suffering. Praise God that he gave up his life so we might be comforted for all of eternity. 

No comments: