Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Good Grief!


1 Thessalonians 4

 13 Brothers and sisters, we do not want you to be uninformed about those who sleep in death, so that you do not grieve like the rest of mankind, who have no hope. 14 For we believe that Jesus died and rose again, and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him. 


Although this was Charlie Brown's favorite saying. It seems a little odd to say "Good Grief". They seem to be two terms that are completely opposite of each other. Grief can't be good  and good can't happen when you grieve. Right?


When my Dad died our entire family was filled with grief. My Dad was great. We missed him then and we miss him now. But, as a Christian, I grieve different than many. I have attended several funerals and "viewings". It is really different grieving for those who know the Lord and those who don't. Leaving the funeral of a follower of Christ has such a peaceful feel to it. It is such a comfort to know that your good bye is only temporary. We still grieve, but we have hope. I can't imagine grieving WITHOUT HOPE! We have a great example in Jesus Christ. Attending a funeral of a non-believer is so much more emotional for both believers and non-believers. One group was no hope for any future. The other group has no hope of any future that will include he deceased. There is a big difference.


The best way to grieve is with hope. The only way to have hope is through Jesus Christ. The thought of not being able to celebrate eternity with my wife, daughters, son-in-laws, grandkids, and friends, is nearly unbearable. So I have a choice, I can share the love of the Lord with them and hope to get them to build a relationship with Christ, or I can sit back and hope someone else shares with them. 


I don't know about you, but I can't sit idly by while all of these people die a meaningless PERMANENT DEATH. I have to do something about it. Will you? 

No comments: