Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Planning for Pain!

Acts 20

 22 “And now, compelled by the Spirit, I am going to Jerusalem, not knowing what will happen to me there. 23 I only know that in every city the Holy Spirit warns me that prison and hardships are facing me. 24 However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace.

What a great scripture. Have you ever been led by the Holy Spirit in a way that was uncomfortable? Do you feel the Spirit predicting pain and hardship in your future? I have to admit, I have, and it's quite unsettling. The idea that I am going to be led into pain and suffering exposes my weak faith. Why would this God who loves me, put me intentionally in the middle of hardship? Is that Love? Am I expected to react as Paul? Can I stay focused on Christ through the pain, trial, and tribulation?

There have been times in my life when I have felt the guidance of God into the fiery pit. I wish I have the faith of Paul. Instead, my question, like most people, is why? Yet, immediately upon asking the question, I realize how crazy it is for me to question the creator of the universe. It's always at this point I plead for God to find a different way. "God are you sure there's not an easier path?" Again, how crazy is it to question the plan of GOD. His wisdom is infinite. He power is ultimate. My only remaining response is "God, your will be done." I go through this faithless cycle more often than I would like to admit. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by this show of weakness: Disbelief, Questioning, Pleading, relenting. Do you remember Jesus in the garden of Gethsemane, just before his crucifixion?

Matthew 26 -- 39 Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will.” .............42 He went away a second time and prayed, “My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done.”


Wow! Isn't it amazing that Jesus himself had the exact same thoughts I have had. WWJD? He would do the same thing I do. Our thoughts are not lack of faith. God understands. God has heard it many times before, even from his own Son. He hears your cry and only wants what's best for you. Find the courage to let God be in control. Do what Jesus did.  You will not be disappointed. 

Dear Lord, I do not choose the path of pain in my life. I am weak. But, I know that we grow closer through the pain. I don't choose it, but I accept it as long as you are with me. I know you will not forsake me. Praise God you are there. Thank You Lord. Your will be done in my life, not my own. Amen! 

No comments: