Thursday, October 13, 2011

Don't always drop the hammer!

Acts 17

 16 While Paul was waiting for them in Athens, he was greatly distressed to see that the city was full of idols. 17So he reasoned in the synagogue with both Jews and God-fearing Greeks, as well as in the marketplace day by day with those who happened to be there................ 22 Paul then stood up in the meeting of the Areopagus and said: “People of Athens! I see that in every way you are very religious. 23 For as I walked around and looked carefully at your objects of worship, I even found an altar with this inscription: TO AN UNKNOWN GOD. So you are ignorant of the very thing you worship—and this is what I am going to proclaim to you.

I have talked before that I like people who tell it like it is. I think of myself as one of those people. Yet, sometimes that direct approach is not the best approach. Paul must have thought the same thing. He came to Athens and was appalled by the idol worship. He really had the right to just tell it like it is. He could have dropped the hammer on these people. Would that have been best? Instead he used a more indirect approach. He walked their town. studied their culture and used that knowledge to "hook them". Paul did a masterful job and the results were many people coming to know Christ. Maybe we should think about doing the same. Many times evangelism is about taking your time, learning, studying, and then sharing. It's not always about being direct.  We need to know when to be direct and when we can take a more circular route. God knows. If we ask him, he will help us with that judgement. 

Dear Lord, I want to bring people to know you, your love, and your grace.  Lord your wisdom about how to share, how much to share, when to do it, and how to do it, is perfect. Please share that wisdom with me. Teach me to be sensitive to people and what they need. Help me to push win time is short and how to recognize when to be patient. I want to be effective for you and only you Lord. Amen!

No comments: