Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Occupy Wall Street: "Capitalism is not the problem."

Acts 19

 23 About that time there arose a great disturbance about the Way. 24 A silversmith named Demetrius, who made silver shrines of Artemis, brought in a lot of business for the craftsmen there. 25 He called them together, along with the workers in related trades, and said: “You know, my friends, that we receive a good income from this business. 26 And you see and hear how this fellow Paul has convinced and led astray large numbers of people here in Ephesus and in practically the whole province of Asia. He says that gods made by human hands are no gods at all. 27 There is danger not only that our trade will lose its good name, but also that the temple of the great goddess Artemis will be discredited; and the goddess herself, who is worshiped throughout the province of Asia and the world, will be robbed of her divine majesty.”


It's funny how things never change. Even after 2000 years, money is king. They say money is the root of all evil. It may not be the root of all evil, but it's close. Right now in America we have a movement called "Occupy Wall Street". As I'm sure most of you can tell, I'm a conservative at heart. But, I can certainly relate to some of the things coming out of "OWS". Our country bailed out big banks, we bailed out big business in the auto industry, we tried propping up businesses like Solyndra and the Federal Reserve runs the country. Why? Because greed and money have the same allure today as it did in the time of the early church. 


The problem in our country doesn't have anything to do with capitalism. The key to the problems in our country is centered around our rejection of Christ. A true Christian can't be greedy. A true Christian country takes care of it's poor and takes the blessings God has given to help others. Our Country was founded on Christian values. I still believe those values are present at the core. 


I believe the silent majority in this country, the ones without the power, are so busy living their daily lives, they don't get involved. They don't take the time to fight to keep our values, they are busy living them, raising their families, and taking care of their own piece of the world. I would have to put myself in that same category. I don't have time to "Occupy Wall Street" or protest with the Tea Party crowd. I'm busy with my daily life. Wether it's right or wrong, thats the way it is. I don't spend my time trying to make more money. I don't play the lottery, I don't gamble, I am satisfied with what I have. I am satisfied with my blessings. I am satisfied with my life. Greed doesn't have a hold in my life or the life of my grown family. Frankly, If everyone would just concentrate on living their daily lives for Christ and accepting the blessings they've been given we wouldn't have to worry about the values of our country. Turning to our Savior, Jesus Christ is the key. You can never be satisfied until you turn to him. Once you learn to rely on the KING of KINGS, money will no longer have  a grip on you. You will be so busy worshipping God you won't want to worship money!