Thursday, October 20, 2011

Lying is popular!

 Corinthians 4

 3 I care very little if I am judged by you or by any human court; indeed, I do not even judge myself. 4 My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me. 

How is your character? This is character counts week at school. I love the Character Counts program. Sometimes it seems like educators are the only ones teaching Character. Every day I see parents and other adults setting a terrible example of character. We found our a parent was having their child sneak them in the back door of the school to get in to athletic contests for free. What is that teaching their child.  The general feelings of society is "It's OK unless you get caught." I see it every day. Not just with students but more often with adults. 
I'm not perfect by any means. I have character flaws like everyone else. But, lying is not one of them. It is common place for America's work force to call in sick even if they aren't sick. It's acceptable to cheat on your taxes. How many marriages end because of a cheating spouse? Honesty is not revered as it once was. In athletics the popular term is  "gamesmanship", not cheating.  If you can get away with breaking the rules by some creative way, people look at you as innovative. I just look at it as cheating!

I don't see how people sleep at night with all the lying and cheating going on. Doesn't it bother their conscience? This is another example how we as Christians are changed. I believe the Holy Spirit is at work through our "Conscience". So many times I feel this inner voice telling me something is wrong. It IS an inner voice. It's the voice of the Lord dwelling within me. I wish I would listen to that voice more. I wish everyone would listen to that voice more. The sad part is Non-Christians don't have that inner voice. They don't have someone telling them what is right. No wonder their is so much dishonesty in this world. The further from Christ we get, the further we get from living an honest life. Is your conscience clear. Are you fearful about being caught or exposed? When we accept the Lord as ruler over our lives, we also give permission for him to convict us of our sins. It is supposed to be uncomfortable to sin. He wants it so uncomfortable that we are forced to change. Lord convict me!

Dear Lord, Forgive me for my dishonesty. Help me to listen to your spirit in my daily life. Guide me in what is right and keep me from evil. Provide me with a clear path so that my life might be pleasing to you. Amen!

No comments: